#Survival Guide - Friends and College


In High School knowing what the true meaning of friendship is wrong... in College where everyone is a little bit more mature and also knows themselves as a person you can meet some truly wonderful people. 

My social life was at it's best when I was at college and my Aspergers was only apart of me to the friends I had made. I was accepted for being who I was and not for masking. Lucky for me I still keep in touch and get tweets from friends saying they need a hug at 1am on a saturday! 


The popularity pyramid or Scale has gone out of the window. For the first time being a misfit isn't on your list of social problems when you click with the right set of people who accept you for who you are as a person.

You feel more comfortable in your own skin and also you get to go on long dinner breaks (*Cough* PUB!) as well as messing around in lessons and going on some amazing nights out where being a fool is perfectly fine because your friends love you just the way you are.

Like I said in the intro, I still talk to my college friends and try and see them as often as I can, although we're all doing other things like University, working and Training to be a mental health Nurse!!

one of the many long lunches 

It's all about confidence and knowing who to talk to! 


Don't feel like your Aspergers instantly makes you an outcast.. from experience knowing this now has kinda put all my anxieties about approaching and talking to people in perspective.

Some people might just radiate towards you, maybe down to common interests or because you look alright. Remember from the rant I had on the blog the other day you're not an alien you are a human being that just finds the whole friend thing a little bit more difficult than other things.

Being Socially Active in College is completely different in school, no one is going to judge you or make you feel like your a weird kid. In fact you'll learn more about yourself and who you are as a person and get to experience things you wouldn't if you didn't have Social Interaction.

My Top Tips With Making Friends: 


1) BE YOURSELF!!!!

Not that easy in Practice because lets face it we all don't know who we are as people. But what ever you feel at that point know that if you feel that connection it's a positive rather than a negative! 
Let the Aspergers come through a bit... like the Lovely, Kind, Loyal and Trusting you that shows that hey I can be your friend! 

2) Relax! 

You're not being Interrogated by Gibbs!  So don't really panic. It's ok to say something silly... or make someone laugh.  If you're not relaxed then how the hell can you come across calm and collected. Just breath and take in the situation. If you can't handle it you can always go somewhere else where you feel comfortable. 
If you feel relaxed , you'll notice you'll feel better about interacting with other people. 
Note - If you haven't seen NCIS ... And like Crime Drama... Where have you BEEN!!!!


3) Don't feel like you have to fit in or hide your feelings: 

Being the wild card is the best way to be, it's not all about being the Perfect Girl. 

If you're true to yourself and show your new friends that is me even when you're on a down day and they really care about you they won't bother about it and hugs will start coming your way. Everyone has off days and being female usually there is a week were we are all on a off day. 
Sorry Robyn but it had to be done!!! xx

Just let them know this is an Aspergers bad day and if they truly are your friends they won't care. They'll try and brighten up your day by doing silly things with Balloons. Oh by the way that is my lovely friend Robyn! 




Friendships do last the test of time and you never know where you are going to end up... but you always know that if you're friends are your BEST FRIENDS... they'll still be there whenever you need them.

The last time I saw Tiff , Robyn and Bianca was just after christmas when we met up for a couple of drinks and a catch up and we had an absolute ball.
I'd forgotten what it had been like to be with a group of people who just make me smile and laugh so hard. We still remember all the nights out when we did stupid things as well as all the fun memories about being in college.

I wanted to write this post for them as a dedication to them and what they have done for me. They brought me out of my shell , make me laugh... comforted me... hugged me and kissed my cheek with red lipstick!!
Gone to see Mcfly with me and didn't make fun of the fact that I was totally besotted with them .

Most of all I want to thank them for making me feel accepted and wanted. And I hope that every girl who reads this post gets to experience what friendship looks and feels like.

So I hope this is going to help and my three tops tips work.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!