#Survival Guide - Schools out and College Awaits

No more Uniforms! Calling Teachers Sir and Miss is long gone  and no more regimented 5 day a week lessons. But now it's time to further your educational career and decide what you want to do! 

College can seem like a daunting prospect for any High School leaver, knowing what course is right for you and choosing between a A-Level or a BTEC Course. But have no fear as I have some handy little tips to make sure to choose the right College and Course for you! 

So where do you go here? You've got all my GCSE's C to A* Grade and now you're choosing what Course you want to do at college and in real terms what career you want in the future. 

Like you felt in year 9 it can seem a strange and concerning task as there are so many colleges offering different types of courses or Apprenticeships as well as traditional routes into Higher education such as A-Levels and BTECS. 

I'm actually on that picture on the cover of the prospectus 4 years later!!!! I'm the Purple haired girl.
Thanks Accrington and Rossendale College xx

 Choosing your course means looking around online at different colleges in your area and deciding which one offers the right course for your interests and importantly your needs! 

"When I went to college I was just out of the Child and Adolescents Mental Health Services and scared to death of going back and beginning my educational career again. But what I didn't realise was that even when you apply for your chosen course you can declare your disabilities and I am forever grateful to my college for how they catered to my needs and looked after me and cared for me. In fact with all my lecturers and special needs unit they really rehabilitated me. They made sure I got the best education I deserved and set me on the right path to going on to University." 

Knowing what you need to look for in a potential college will help you when you choose universities at a later stage. 

Here are some of my tips about choosing the right College for you: 


1) Look at what courses they offer and take note of the disability services they have to offer:

This will be all on the website for you, because lets face it when you apply for any college now you don't do it via paper applications. So go to their website and have a look at the prospectus and the courses they provide. Whilst on the website, note down any open days they might have for high school leavers and go and have a look around the college and meet the staff! This means that you can then meet the lecturers (No longer called Teachers!) as well as the Special Learning Needs team. 
Research is the key when you are looking for a college and I recommend that with Aspergers it is better to go to a smaller college rather than a larger one! 

2) Discuss what you want to do with your parents:

Usually in year 10 you get a careers advisor and from personal experience they don't really know what you want to do let alone what sort of career options you want to explore based on your GCSE choices. GCSE's a rough idea of what you want to do and based purely on the choices that you made when you were 14 years old, scared and confused. With college you are treated as an adult rather than a child and it's now time to have a sit down and a rational conversation with the people who know you better than anyone else in the world Your parents!!! If you are confused again it's all about what are your strengths and what you struggle with. I'd advise that you take a vocational route when you go to college and select a BTEC course due to the fact that you don't have to do exams.. it's all course work based assessment. 
But this all depends on the subject you want to do!

3) Take your time when choosing your course: 

It doesn't matter how calm you feel on the surface, underneath it might be a different story. It is a scary place to come out of a regular routine and having to  adjust to a new one. And knowing what you really want to do can be a mind field within itself. 
I'd recommend a few little visits to different colleges, get a feel of the environment and what the staff are like and go with your gut instinct. Which one is the best place for me and then what course is the better option? 


The worrying part is understanding the difference between A-Levels, BTEC and Apprenticeships. 

 The differences are easy to understand but not really talked about or explained when at school. 

A-LEVELS: 

A-Levels are the traditional method into University but do come with extensive course work over a two year period and numerous exams at the end of the two years! 
I would avoid them if you hate EXAMS!!! 

BTECS: 

Are the alternative and do equate to GCSE, A-Level and even Degrees. With a BTEC you will be able to redo any GCSE's that you Struggled with and gain a Level 1 or 2 in your chosen subject as well as getting Level 3 in what ever subject you choose which equates to an A-Level qualification. 

*This is my Number 1 choice for Aspergers Students as there are NO EXAMS!!*

BTECS are assessed purely on assignments and coursework which give you an overall grade from a Pass (Grade C), Merit (Grade B), Distinction (Grade A-A*) Universities will still accept you for degree courses with a BTEC. 

My thoughts on BTEC's: 

" I did a level 2 and 3 in Media Production and loved every minute of it and not having to worry about the pressure and stress of taking exams. Being more practical I had an advantage when I went to university and some of the topics covered I already knew in my first year." 

Apprenticeships: 

This is where whilst you study you will earn money by being employed at a work place that is matched to your course. A few of my friends are on these schemes and they are heavily promoted by the Government at the moment.  With someone with a learning disability it might mean changes being made into the work place as well as stress about going to work. Also you might need to check if you are on Benefits in the UK whether you can work and still be able to claim for your benefits. 

In this case I would go and have a look on for more information: 




Knowing all your options you can make the right decision for you!!! 

And just to celebrate we have moved away from the Uniforms and horrible High School here is a little treat from Mr Alice Cooper!!! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!