#Survival Guide - Choosing Your GCSE's

Knowing what you want to do in your future doesn't  really come into play until you leave High School for good! But in Year 9 suddenly everyone expects you to know what you want to do in a matter of a year and it's for a very simple reason.. 

It's GCSE Decision Time!! 

Now GCSE Options can be altogether the most confusing thing you do in your adolescent life! 


Not only are you expected to know what you want to do as a career which seems a life time away from your 14 year old self.. who might be still getting over the fact that Zayn is no longer a member of One Direction! 

But you need to make that decision as soon as possible! 

Knowing what you enjoy is one of the key things in choosing your core subjects - every school is different and might require you to do more than the expected Core Subjects recommended in the curriculum. 

Your Core Subjects are as follows: 

  1. English Language and Literature 
  2. Maths 
  3. Science - Biology , Chemistry and Physics 
  4. I.T 
  5. Religious Education 

You're are thinking ok.. thats easy enough then you're school will through in some more little curve balls with the core subjects. 

Depending on what your school requires you might find some extra subjects might creep onto the core subject list. Before you panic .. really you'll only do 10 GCSE's Maximum!  But the list might look more like this: 

  1. English Language and Literature
  2. Maths 
  3. Science Biology, Chemistry and Physics
  4. I.T 
  5. Religious Education 
  6. Modern Languages - Either French, German or Spanish 


And now in the UK - According to the BBC News Website that the government are set to introduce Geography and History to become core subjects taking the total up to a Whooping 8 Core Subjects!!! 

It can all seem to much to bare and with 5 other subjects to choose from which you like doing and enjoy studying. 

When I was choosing my GCSE Choices I knew what I wanted to do .... I left school at 15 years old so never completed some of them due to the fact I was seriously ill at the time but I chose: 

1) Media Studies 
I loved anything to do with Radio from a young age - I even played radio station as a kid. But as I got to Year 9 my school had just brought in Media Studies as a GCSE subject. Although I loved it - and wanted to learn more about the world of media the actual lessons were new and were not structured properly. So I ended up basically studying Film and Media Theory rather than practical assignments which annoyed me. We didn't have the equipment we needed to film or recorded packages or assignments that required physical evidence that we knew what to do and so when I was better and ready to go back into Education I did a Level 2 (GCSE Equivalent) in Media Production at College! 

2) Geography 
I loved Geography and anything to do with Volcanos as they are really magnificent and amazing things to learn about. And so I wanted to pursue it as best as I could. However when learning about Farming I got BORED! And also with less than 2 hours sleep a night would find myself falling asleep in lesson and then having a ruler slammed on my desk to wake me up by my teacher! 
Really I wanted to learn Geo-physics and the chemistry involved to understanding how Volcanos work and why they erupt! 

3) Drama 
Drama was an escape from the real world and an opportunity to let out all my depression and anxiety. My Drama Teacher was fantastic! He inspired me and if he's reading this ... a massive thank you for getting me interested in Shakespeare and other really gritty dark plays like Blood Brothers!! Also Drama is a good way to combine English Literature theory together with learning and acting out the plays you're studying!!! 
In year 9 - said Drama Teacher (Mr Anderson!) actually recommended that I do Drama as a GCSE Subject at a Parents Evening which I attended. He nearly shook my mum's hand off. 

When it comes to choosing your GCSE Subjects remember this is the time to drop the ones you hate the most.. remember the Classroom Nightmares Post? 

So if you didn't like Art or D&T and other subjects it's time to drop them from your choices. You will be asked to make additional choices just in case you don't get the ones you have already chosen as your first choice! 

Don't be alarmed by that as you will more times of not will get the ones you want. 
Just a little warning - you will still have to do P.E ... I know I can feel your pain as it is to do with the 'Healthy Lifestyle' and the 'Change For Life' government scheme. So expect to still have to run in pouring rain on the coldest day of the year in shorts and a t-shirt with no coat. 

What if my school has already said I have to take some  of my GCSE's that I haven't Choosen this Year? 

There is a really strange thing going on in schools where now most students can have the option (although this is forced upon students) to take some GCSE's Early! 

At school I had already gained a German & French  (Modern Languages) GCSE and a I.T GCSE before even choosing my options. I have no idea why the school did that ... Maybe for those controversial and well hated League Tables that seem to score the school on how well they are! 

If this happens and the school doesn't notify your parents as they are sneaky! Just let your Mum or Dad know in advance as they can make sure the school doesn't take advantage and puts the proper support in place for you. 


For more Information on Exams go to The Exams Post!!! 

And finally..... 


What if I have chosen the Wrong Subject for me? 

I have gone through this situation. In Year 9 and almost since I was able to talk I love and still Love to sing (The first language I learn't to sing in other than English was Latin in Primary School!) so I chose music thinking I might learn a little bit more about my voice and how to make backing tracks and construct my own songs. 
The only problem was that I couldn't read Music that well and could not compose music either! 

I thought that there would be contemporary music theory rather than classical and so with my head bowed and my depression and stress seeming to get worse I had to change to something else. Hence I chose Geography!!! 

When it comes to Swapping subjects and moving ... The earlier on in the year you can do it.... the better! Don't wait until the start of year 11 to change. Do it in year 10! 


Your School will be a little bit of a pain in the bum when it comes to changing a subject and here is Why: 


Because they have to notify the exam board and also inform teachers that you are coming into class.  It's basically because it involves a lot of paper work. 

Don't be alarmed again it's a matter of telling your parents early enough so that they can talk to the school and change it for you. 
Make sure that you clearly state what subject that you want to do and that your school will put you in that class. As they will either look at your second choices or put you into under subscribed GCSE subjects instead. 

The Important thing to remember is that your GCSE's are the beginning of your Higher Education Adventure. They aren't the end of the world but important to you!!! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!