#SurvivalGuide - Exams


Exams can be a nightmare! The amount of pressure placed on your shoulders can become almost overwhelming to the point of breaking into little pieces on the floor!

But before you lose control and break down into a crying ball on the floor, I have some handy ways to cancel out all the pain and heartbreak that comes from taking exams!

Once you know you have a block week of either mock or the real exams these symptoms seem to appear as if from nowhere: 


  • sleepless nights
  • painful and sometimes scary panic attacks 
  • sweaty palms 
  •  brain blackouts 


Can all occur as if from nowhere. 

The notion of all normal behaviour seems to go out of the window as you wind yourself up more and more until you completely either implode or explode! I know how difficult it can be to take exams even if it doesn't matter about the outcome (although dropping a set in Maths can be humiliating!) turns you into a mess. 

So don't fear as I have collated some of my little tricks that I have collected over the years that have got me through Exams and Essays! 

Revision is the key to exam success, but DON'T OVER DO IT! 

Yeah I know easy for me but honestly pacing yourself is the key. Over tiring your body and more importantly your mind can lead to your brain not taking in all the information it needs! 

So here are my little trusty tips: 


When it comes to revision the feeling is to cram as much information as possible into your head and write tons of notes that will not make sense when you go back to them. 
Instead of doing the cramming sessions with a gallons of red bull, take your time! You might be surprised but the hare never won the race! 

Instead revise at your own pace. Making a schedule can be a life saver as managing the amount of time you have and making sure you have regular breaks that don't break up your regular routines. 


Don't think that you need to revise all night without sleeping or you don't need to eat or drink. You do if you're ever going to get that grade that you truly desire. 

The key to revision is knowing how much information you can take in at a time and knowing what your strongest subjects are compared to the subjects you wished where never created! 
Once you know your strengths and well not so strong subjects you can then spread your time equally in the revision stage. 
That is my bathroom - candle lit baths!

Relaxation is another key - a healthy body and a healthy mind with help you as well! 

Taking time for yourself and allowing yourself to have a nice warm bath with a bath bomb or oils (Lavender is great for stress relief.) with relaxing music and candles is the way forward. If you are a traditional bubble bath girl do what you want so long as you allow the water to take all your stresses away. Drinking lots of water and eating healthier food whilst revising can also aid you getting that A* in your exam!  

Don't be afraid to ask for help when it comes to revision. A group of friends to study with or even just mum and dad in the kitchen can help you revise and lets face it making you feel a tiny bit better than before! 

Studying with more people can be great as you can all help each other out with complex subjects. 

Other than that I had one of the very rare experiences when a teacher helped me out with my German Oral Speaking Exam: 

I was 14 years old and I haven't been going to school regularly due to the fact that I was depressed and was finding it all too much. My school had decided to allow students in year 9 (9th Grade) to take their GCSE's early in certain subjects. I had no idea what I was supposed to be taking and because of my undiagnosed Aspergers and anxiety and depression that kept me off school I had begun to lose out on my education.

 These exams were compulsory and no student could get out of them. I was so anxious that I had begun to panic in lessons and the pressure to pass my exam was getting to me. My German teacher took me to one side and said she would help me with the oral speaking part of the exam. She also made sure that I was up to date with the comprehension side of the exam. She actually coached me through the speaking exam pausing the tape to make sure I knew what I was saying and also if I understood what I was doing and saying at the time. I did pass my modern languages exam and I will always thank that teacher for what she did! 

Unfortunately not all teachers are like that and take advantage of reminding you constantly that your exams are coming up and apply what seems to be a massive amount of pressure on your shoulders- like Aspergers girls don't have enough to deal with! 

When you take exams it isn't for the school or the teacher who teaches you that subject. 

That exam is for you! To prove to yourself that you are smart and intelligent! 

It's your personal achievement! 

Although it goes towards how the school looks to the outside world. If your heart isn't into what you are studying then there is the logical side of your brain tries to reason that you don't need to study it let alone take the exam. 

The bad thing about exams is you make sure you know all the things you need to pass and then and this is true it just magically goes from your brain as lets face it you don't need to know complex mathematical equations unless you are going into engineering, physics, chemistry and other careers that need complex maths as a requirement. 

The basics for everyday life is more knowing how to Add, Divide, Subtract and Multiply as well as percentages and I still need a calculator on my phone to work stuff out!


Having anxiety and stress in normal everyday life can be go into overdrive once you know you have an exam coming up.

How do you deal with all the pressures, anxiety and doubts that are all running through your mind? 

When you get into the examination room make sure you have a bottle of water and everything you need. 
I know it might sound stupid but if you have a lucky pen or pencil then use it! That belief system will curve some of the anxiety and also give back a little bit of the control to you. 

Your teachers will do the whole speech about how much time you have to complete the test. It might feel like you are having an outer body anxiety attack and hearing Blah, Blah, Blah rather than actual words but stay calm and focus on your breathing. 

It all comes to the actual exam and the cold sweats begin and panic sets in as your mind goes:

"AHHHHHH!!!! I can't remember anything!" 

My number one tip in these situations is take your time! Pacing yourself throughout the exam and focusing on the questions rather than on what time you have left can be better than driving yourself mad with seconds and minutes. 
Finding out how to zone out a ticking clock can be difficult. With me I usually have a song playing through my head as well as all the information I need to remember. Focusing in on the song in my head usually relaxes and calms me seeing as though you cannot listen to music in your actual exam! BOO!!!! 

I can hear you screaming at me- What if I can't remember the answer!!! 

Well with exams it's all about trying not to panic. Your lovely but somewhat clueless teachers will say if you don't know the answer try to work it out and if not move on like there is a time limit to how long you have to spend on a question. 
If you have a memory blank then don't panic. The answer will be in there somewhere but not ready to come out and give you the lightbulb moment as yet. 
Instead of forcing yourself to remember the answer and search your brain like it's google is not the right answer as it'll just overwork your brain. 
Move on to the next question, it doesn't matter the answer will come to you at some point during the exam. 

Once you have completed the exam, it's time to relax and reward yourself! 

Your reward system can be anything you want it to be. It could be going on social media on your phone for a few minutes to ruining your healthy eating and having a piece or full bar of chocolate! 


Phones and unhealthy foods are frowned upon in schools but when it comes to exams, treating yourself and throwing caution to the wind is a good way to say to yourself:

"I did it!"

Rewarding hard work is a good thing as it releases happy hormones in the brain that will help you in your next exam as your mind and body are relaxed.

Most importantly it doesn't matter if you have pilled on some weight. If the reward system works for you then do it!
I used to have a McDonalds after my exams! And I have not really regretted it until my Gallbladder kinda blew up!
The whole point of a reward system is that you have a positive mental response to a negative and stressful activity.

EXTRA TIME AND LEARNING NEEDS!

Whether you have a Aspergers Diagnosis or other learning needs like Dyslexia, your school should have special adaptations in place for you through their special needs unit. 
It seems babyish but if you need extra time or even someone to assist you in reading the questions and to use a computer to write answers rather than using a pen then take it! 

When I was at school one of my downfalls was the fact that I had not got any additional support that I desperately needed and it wasn't until College and University that I got the support I needed desperately to succeed. 

Here is the important bit: 
Sometimes high schools or other learning institutions don't tell you that these additional exam requirements are in place and there for the taking. 

Having a word with the special needs unit and taking in the diagnosis and evidence will help. 
If the school refuses to help then it needs to be addressed. I would not go make a complaint Direct to the school. If the school is not an academy I'd go to the local education authority and alternatively Ofsted! 

For more information for parents: 

www.autism.org.uk


Next week it's all about Bullying. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!