social media venting the dos and don'ts

I see regularly on social media people and mainly teenagers venting their frustration on their blogs through other well known blogging sites and it worries me to death!

Having a degree in media, I was taught the rules of how to use media and mainly that was to promote yourself or a product you've created. But this seems to slip the mind of some people who use them as a journal in a way to map out their life.

I'm not saying that using a blog isn't a good way to vent about particular issues that are important to you but what seems to be forgotten is that it's still for the whole world to know and this isn't Jezza (Daytime Show sorry USA) you shouldn't air your dirty laundry in public or attack other people on your blog as it can lead to disastrous consequences.

Personally what I was told is that 80% of employers search for you online first before they actually consider taking you on in employment.
Now as someone who has various social media accounts I cannot tell you how many times I have to bite my tongue and not become a keyboard warrior as it were! But sometimes in the anger haze you'll say and do things you normally wouldn't do in real life because you are online. But everything can be traced back to you and your computer.

So here goes:

Think before you type: 
Simple but hard to practice. It's all about excepting that in actual fact no matter what you vent online there might someone connected to the post or the statement you're trying vent out. If it's social media don't tag people who have annoyed you in the post. Instead just take it on the chin and leave it alone.

For example: 
A blogger upset me a little bit the other day saying that girls with piercings and  tattoos where damaged. Now he went a little to far on how he said other things but I thought to myself I'm not damaged and as an AS girl I take things way to much to heart so instead of sending him what he wanted which is basically a reaction I just let blow over me and thought that everything he wrote is his personal experience and that is fine as he wasn't really attacking me rather he was blogging about his only experience he's had with tattooed girls. But I know that he probably has got a lot of negative reactions already. But I wasn't going to waste valuable time where I could be writing or blogging myself telling him what I thought. Instead I just thought: 
"Your opinion, thats ok." 

Social media is a great way to communicate with people: Be careful. 
Humans don't really get on when they have a difference in opinion and I have seen this a lot recently in the Mcfly fan camp. We're all splitting down the middle over something that seems so important to us but in fact it really isn't. And it's all over never getting an album we were promised and the band being a little off with us because we have been having a go rather than supporting them. Also because they have merged with their best friends and another band and making music.
But it's when someone doesn't like the things you have said and they have every right to give you an reaction and tell you their opinions but if they are offensive then basically there is one thing you do.
Report them- DO NOT RETALIATE! 
A little bit of debate is fine and in fact is healthy but in this case where it becomes to personal it's time to leave it alone and report them to the website and let them deal with it rather you deal with it and get depressed. From personal experience it's worth not getting involved because some people don't know when to let go and will personally begin to attack you and the subject completely shifts off topic and becomes in some ways a personal vendetta between you and the other person.

You may a 140 characters to express yourself- don't start an online war!
Twitter is great for keeping up with friends and celebs. Again like the topic above. Just be aware what you are tweeting. Losing followers isn't the end of the world. But a twitter war is just not worth the energy or the time. Twitter also has the right to block certain accounts on the request from the owner which means bye bye following them and also they may request for you to leave and delete the account. I use twitter mainly to tell people  what i'm up to in the sense of I have a radio show and it's great for audience participation. Also to promote this little blog and also just to let people know what I am up to rather than having a rant unless i'm in hospital. I usually tweet my favourite band with positive things that make them sometimes retweet me but other than that I keep my twitter account professional rather than personal.

The Comment box and the Like button
On Facebook it's really easy to like stuff and to comment on statuses and photos. Now I have people that have basically pulled pranks and stuff on my account. Online safety is a must. If someone nicks a profile picture and begins to write obscene things report them immediately. Also delete them as a friend and block them from ever coming back on your profile. No one needs that. Also be wary what you put on your statuses because the people who think are your friends might still write some really stupid stuff and offend your family that might be friends with you. It is easy to see it as your personal extension of yourself - save that for a book that you can write in and has a lock and key!

Tumblr isn't somewhere where you can just post random statements
This is where my concern mainly lies- I see loads of great posts of creativity and genuinely brilliant stuff being posted on there. But some bloggers don't know where the line between blog and personal life stops. And it deeply worries me when people talk or make a statement without using names about someone and not really understand that this is still in the view of the public and the world. It is a concern to the point where you feel like you want to say something like:
Whats the matter? 
Now that seems like a nice thing to do, but depending on the post and if you know them personally- some of my friends I speak to are in the world of blogs in particular Tumblr and I communicate with them on a regular basis sending messages and stuff. But if you don't know the person it's not the best thing to do. Also it might be a cry out for help or attention which I don't really think you should on social networks. If you have a problem talk to someone close to you or well a medical professional. Again it's a case of airing your dirty washing in public- not everyone wants to see it or even know. And it might get negative attention which is not what you need. Re-blogging stuff like photos and news is great and informing people on events is a good way to gain followers. Just don't go overboard.
Chat rooms who are you speaking to? 
Just putting this on here as a form of caution. There are people out there who are not who they seem! Catfish is a great TV programme to watch to learn more about people who impersonate other people to basically get some company. Other than that, you need to be on the look out for other dangers as there are predators out there who will want to either gain your trust or steal your identity. In this case don't give out information of where you live, your phone number and personal details. Be more Aspergers than usual is a great form of advice because we don't trust anyone who we don't know!

If this has helped than I feel a little bit better!!!

Sophie xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!