I'm trying to become an author and it isn't easy!



In a galaxy far far away! 


A couple of months ago (I think) I began talking about writing a book that was originally a script that was based on a dream that I had last year and in an:

EUREKA Moment! 
I thought to myself that hey you Should Write that down as it would be an epic script or book. 

 Flash Forward one graduation and serval months down the line the story (Narrative to be correct term) later and the book has gone from 60 pages in script format to 29 chapters as a book and is getting good and not losing the original plot that I set out to write after first starting it as a script. I wasn't happy when I was writing the script as I was limited to 60 pages (an hour on screen) to make the story not only capture the eyes of my lecturer and my fellow students but also to make the actual content make sense. And as I was writing the actual scrip which I have a copy of and use as a reference I still had this niggling and annoying voice at the back of my head that pops up for no reason out of the blue and says it would be so so much better and awesome as a book! 

They're my Superheros! Mcfly
Here I am 29 chapters nearly 30 into the whole book with things constantly changing and also my mind drawing blanks or not  being bothered to write and play video games or go on Youtube and watch Mcfly videos
instead of doing what I am supposed to be doing but again I am a Human Being and sometimes or in my case most of the time I lose the will to live and stop writing.  That is thing with writing I'm all for lets get it done NOW! And not that patient when it comes to doing something longer than a day. I have written loads of short stories in my time, some are fanfiction which got a great response online but other have been more personal and dear to me and in the real world where getting what seems to be a job is so so difficult a creative mind does what it wants and in my case that is sat at chained to my laptop for over 6 hours of the day writing a book that will hopefully get published.

Speaking of which to get published you can either: 
  1. Self Publish yourself - check online retailers and Ts&Cs for that (Modern Method) 
  2. Get an Literary agent!
I know someone through my mum who is in fact an agent, and deals with things from Books to those magazines with real life stories in them. So I bit the bullet and emailed her with a synopsis (Very important for any book, film script, TV script or radio script) and the backstories and other background information on what the book was about and she replied to me saying she liked it but at the moment she was busy and couldn't really help me. I took it at face value and thought if I wait a bit longer and just bash out the first draft then i'll be on my way and then send it off to her complete as a PDF file (So bloody email can actually send it) and allow her to read it all the way through.

I didn't really think about the absolute concentration of length of time it takes to write a book, let alone the amount of nights you go through the story over and over again and although you can edit it down I can't really think about too much information before my brain wants to dump all the downloaded information that is whizzing around my head to save it from exploding. 

I have found a helpful way to dump and digest all my ideas and that is again to write it down. But this is a great little software I'm going to let you in on and a top tip and it syncs everything to all your devices and I love it.  
(For legal purposes there are many other products you can use but this is the one I prefer to use and please shop around and try all of them out!)  
Evernote Logo

The one I use is Evernote - it's totally free to download to Mac, PC , Tablet , i Phone, i Pad and other digital devices you may have knocking around all you need is the internet really to get this product. 

I have created several  digitised notebooks on a wide range of topics and well my writing one at the moment is full of plot ideas and more importantly for any Aspergers person a checklist and you can even add a check box that you can tick- like Monica in Friends! Which is highly satisfying as someone who is a control freak like my lovely self!
Monica (Courtney Cox) Friends 
When the moment comes that I think my head may in fact explode I just open the bad boy up and mull over everything and then get  back to work on my book and refer back to the original musings. It can also help if you get lost in the writing and nothing seems to fit or if you have writer's block as I do at the moment. I can refresh and then the inspiration can come back in buckets and then I don't want to stop writing or typing for that matter! 
Cue Ross from Friends Moment! 
I need to work on my Grammar! 

 All jokes aside- had to put the Friends jokes in for the fun of it but I love the show and I grew up watching it.
Back on topic we go. I'm trying to see writing like I see blogging except I have to be more descriptive for a start and also it's not my story about my life it's someone else I have created and that is something I am used to doing.

*Top Tip*
Don't know your character- start thinking about them as a          physical person rather than a imaginary one. Works every time and then you will begin to think like them.

So looking forward into the future I have to make the next step which is submitting my synopsis and three chapters to a agency which is going to be scary but hey it's worth a shot at the end of the day!

Sophie xxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!