Writers Block

Again the title seems vague but it's that time of the year when I have so many deadlines (today included) where I have a ton of work to do and no good starting point. I've already written 1 essay which seems to be enough but now have to do another and this is where my brain begins to melt. I have not time to do this essay and also clean up my actual production that goes along side this.

So i'm sat in an editing suit looking at my essay and just wanting to bang my head against the wall. I did yesterday buy something to aid with my stress levels but I forgot it and also I don't think my uni would like me chucking a rugby ball around in a room full of computers. But you know what can you do. So apart from using my back up plan I'm now staring at my computer screen with the cursor just blinking back and forth looking at me to get my work done.

This is the final stage and I need to get it done, but I feel over- worked and under pressure from everything and everyone. So I know how it can feel, whether it be exams, essays or just home life - when it all piles on top of you at once all you want to do is scream.

Here are some of my little tricks that I have used:

1) Go outside 
If you leave what ever is bothering you for a couple of minutes and allow your brain to refresh itself then usually something will pop into your head and then you need to run inside and write it down. 

2) Music 
Writing essays can be bland and boring on there own, so get your MP3 player and get some music on that can motivate you and make the experience (in my case talking about Radio Drama) easier. Also playlists are a better option as you can combine songs that work and then just shuffle them around a bit. 

3) If you feel like you've had enough... you have probably have:
There is no use in trying to write stuff if your head isn't there. If you want to call time and only written 500 words then that is fine. There is no use in trying to write more, because 1 you get a headache and 2 writing gibberish that doesn't make sense. Leave it and come back  to it. 

4) Pace yourself
Deadlines are tight I know this for a fact, if you have a week extra TAKE IT!!!!!! For gods sake take it because then you can action plan everything and if something stupid like you need to re-edit something or a piece of work isn't up to the mark then you can just place that on the back burner and tackle that challenge. 

5) If you can't do it - tell someone.
Lecturers/teachers are a pain, whether they get back to you immediately or in 2 days time - mine is usually around the 5 working days mark (pains) then you can ask them a question. A good thing that mine do now is that they have Skype conferences over the internet with you so where ever you are you can always get in touch. 
Something to look out for though is emails - one lecturer of mine usually does not answer the question you originally asked and that can cause complete and utter confusion!!!

6) If you feel mad, go and release it safely
I know, this might be something really stupid to say but anxiety can lead to anger outburst. If this occurs try and notice the signs early. This might be increased sweating, feeling sick constantly, heart beat becoming to fast.... or you feel like you have a pressure cooking that waiting to explode inside of you. Deal with it quickly. Remove yourself from the situation and then focus on slowing your breathing down, nice constant breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth. Maybe get something to squeeze like a ball. Also good tip, aggression can be dispersed through writing down your inner thoughts - journals are the best way to go and deal with this! If you feel like you can't control it then seek help. 

Other than the things above, having a walk, going to the gym.... or just letting yourself remove whatever the problem is for a couple of hours or minutes might be enough.

Sophie xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!