#Awkward - Girls and Boys with Aspergers

This is something that I have observed recently as I have gone back to a Autism resource centre. I've found that connecting with our male counterparts can be difficult and as the title suggests Awkward to the point where you want to flea the room.
This awkwardness may stem from the way that males and females feel that they cannot interact with each other which is normal.

Other things from a girls perspective (we don't get to say that a lot) is that in a room full of Aspergers people only 1 or maybe 2 will be girls and in that case it might be better to just let the girls integrate with each other without the pressure of having in some cases a male dominated environment.
Aspergers is a hard thing to live with at the best of times but why is it that girls feel like the odd one out rather than comfortable. It may depend on the way a boy looks at her for example - AS people are naturally hard to read but when you have a group of them in a room who aren't very good at socially interacting at the best of times it's not going to be good. I find that girls are easier to talk to than boys. Maybe being a girl already gives you that natural bond between you and some understanding that you are the same and that it is ok to talk and laugh and sometimes chill out. With boys, girls feel threatened it is a natural thing to feel and overwhelmed. I have spoken to AS girls who have said the same thing that it is about the fact that girls are already isolated due to the fact that they are female in a form of autism where there is nothing written about girls with the autism. So therefore we haven't got the best start, it is overlooked.


This is something that might be just personal to me, but with Aspergers that has been diagnosed in later life , I find it much easier to integrate  and meet normal people (whether they are male or female) rather than Aspergers. It's only a few people that I get along with who have Aspergers. I actually wanted to go home as I found that I have become to trained to actually be socially better in an environment with people who haven't got autism where as when it comes to a room full of people like me I freak out, this is because I have adapted, and that adaption is hard to reverse.


It's not a very clear blog post, but if you feel the same way I completely understand.

Sophie xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Mask Slips Off

The Meltdown Confession

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!