Lost In Translation and Identity: Asperger’s and Everyone Else

What do I mean when I talk about being lost in translation?

Well from an Aspergers POV we are the ones that find it difficult to communicate or understand body language. It is like someone talking in a different language to us. One of the biggest problems I have when I tell people what Aspergers is their actual understanding of this condition. When I try to explain it people’s faces actually go blank or they want to run away when they hear the words ‘Autism’ as there is still a fear and stigma attached to the condition even now in 2013!
One of the things I try to explain in simple terms is that a Aspergers brain is wired differently to what would be classed as a ‘Normal’ person’s brain.

I use these sayings sometimes:

“If you have two computers sitting side by side in front of you, to your left there is a P.C (windows) and to the right there is a Mac.
The one on the left could be a ‘normal’ person’s brain with all the operating functions it needs in its system whereas the computer to the right the mac is actually an ‘Asperger’s’ brain. We might look exactly the same on the outside but on the inside where the hard drive is the programme is completely different but still functions perfectly.” 

“ What we class as ‘normal’ people are like Lions they live in family groups or prides if you will whereas Aspergers are like Cheetahs or Tigers they don’t need anyone else to function but come together if they need to.”

Like the title suggests understanding who you really are is the first step. Now I know if you are a teenager then what I am saying is really hard as you are constantly changing and growing and developing but unlike me when I was a teenager, you probably already have an idea of who you are right now but can’t verbalise it or describe it for that matter.
What you need to allow yourself to do is actually understand that the Aspergers is apart of you. It doesn’t control you; it is a part of you and makes you unique to everyone else. And the key to Identity is to be proud or love that fact that you are unique.

Yes you maybe a little bit more odd than the rest of the people you come into contact with and you might be a little bit more awkward but at the end of the day that is something you have to your advantage, because fitting in isn’t all what it is cracked up to be trust me.

The Advantage:
You are who you are, and the best thing is that being AS is just great and you get to confuse normal people on a daily basis. I love doing this; it gives me a source of entertainment. It might be considered cruel but actually this is the best part when you shut yourself in your little world or forget that someone is watching and do things in your specific way rather than the conventional way.

I know that there are downsides to this, and that maybe you will feel uncomfortable but the thing is you didn’t have to hide your Aspergers from anyone in that moment. And it’s moments like that, that make me smile.

Don’t hide who you really are- proud!

Again you’re thinking is the girl crazy but the greatest advantage to your self esteem and confidence is to understand who you truly are and be proud of it. I’m not saying you have to get a megaphone and shout:

“I’M ASPERGERS …… LOOK AT ME!!!!”

 It’s you inner confidence that will shine through, where you look at yourself in the mirror and see your reflection and go “I am myself.” And add…. “And I’m proud to be who I am.”

Confronting the aspects of what makes you ‘you’ is something that any mental health professional will try to make you see in yourself but the only obstacle in your way is you and only you. If you don’t believe then how can you be happy with who you are. That doesn’t just count for AS girls or boys that’s a thing for everyone.

I know that being AS is hard and I hope that this post has made everything seem a little better.



Sophie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discrimination towards Autism NEEDS TO STOP!

The Meltdown Confession

When The Mask Slips Off